High-Rise Communities and Neighbourhoods

Rent Safe TO for Tenants
“Apartment Building Standards” is a bylaw enforcement program that ensures apartment building owners comply with building maintenance standards. The program applies to apartment buildings with three or more storeys and ten or more units. Residents need to contact their landlord first and submit service requests for issues such as pests, low or no heat, plumbing problems, leaky ceilings, or problems in the common areas of the building.

Landlords need to respond to urgent service requests, such as no heat or water, within 24 hours. Non-urgent service requests need to be responded to within seven days. If you get no action from your landlord and problems persist, you can contact 311 for the RentSafeTO team. For more information, please see the RentSafeTO for Tenants webpage and this brochure.

Tenant Rights and Responsibilities Support Resources
Below are resources that may help with finding out about Tenant Rights:

  1. City-funded Housing Help Centres to help with avoiding evictions and keeping housing here.
  2. City-funded Financial Support (including RentBank, a one-time interest-free loan to help with making rent) here.
  3. FMTA Tenant Hotline (advice, referrals, general questions): 416-921-9494

“The Guide to Tenants' Rights” (is available in 12 languages) here.

Get on the list – Report it!
If you have an issue with your TCHC unit or building, it must be reported to the Client Care Centre at 416-981-5500 right away. (You may send an email to help@torontohousing.ca​ if it's not an emergency) When repairs are needed, especially to your unit, please make sure you get an EasyTrac number from the call representative.
*** It's very important to remember not to finish the call unless you have your EasyTrac number***
Get on the list! See the maintenance and repair site here.   
Then track it on EasyTrac: see more information.

Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC)
Concerned constituents may call the TCHC's Community Safety Unit at 416-921-2323 to report noise disturbances, loitering, trespassing, or other safety-related issues.  This will ensure an appropriate response is made promptly.

Stay Updated & Get Involved!

Subscribe to my community updates, monthly eNewsletters, submit feedback on City services, and volunteer in my office.

sign up for my EnewS

sign up to volunteer

Instagram/paulainslie Twitter: @Ainslie_Ward24 youtube: PaulAinslieWard24 Facebook: Councillor Paul Ainslie Scarborough-Guildwood

100 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M5H 2N2

Phone: 416-396-7222